Beaver Loop Road
Improvements and Pedestrian Pathway Project
The Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT&PF) and the City of Kenai, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is planning improvements to Beaver Loop Road, including the addition of a pedestrian pathway. The project is needed because the roadway, ditches, and culverts have deteriorated and require frequent spot repairs.
Google Location Map
The improvements include:
- New pavement
- New intersection lighting at Barabara Dr., Angler Dr./Cone Ave., Ames Rd., and Dolchok Ln.
- In areas where there are dips and bumps in the roadway, spot repairs will be made to the underlying road subgrade to provide for a smoother longer lasting pavement.
- Separated pedestrian pathway
- Fish passage and drainage improvements
- Right turn lanes at Bridge Access Road and Kenai Spur Highway
- Concurrent with this project, ENSTAR Natural Gas Company is planning to replace their steel distribution lines with flexible HDPE lines.
- Construction is anticipated to begin in Spring 2019.
- Final design is anticipated to be completed in Fall 2018.
- Through careful evaluation of design options, the design team, with cooperation with the City of Kenai, was able to reduce impacts to exiting utilities and Right-of-Way (ROW), and lower construction costs for this project.
- With input from the community and the City of Kenai, a final decision was reached to place the pathway along the right side (river side) of Beaver Loop Road.
- A new water main will not be installed as part of this project.
Click here to sign up to receive project email updates.